Friday, September 11, 2009

Emoto's Emoting Water Crystals

The Hidden Messages in Water, by Masaru Emoto, poses an intriguing study on the effects of music and language on crystallized water. What grabs me from this book, though, is the way in which Emoto writes. I find my critical analysis of his work falls into my cultural bias. This work is translated from Japanese, and I am curious to learn the differences between Japanese and American research styles, along with discrepancies between languages. Emoto lacks factual information, specifics, and references-- his descriptions of people, labs, and "support" are very general. Meanwhile, his hypothesis lacks documented record of scientific evidence, relying on instincts and subjective conclusions to make his point.

What Emoto is concerned with, though, is not the scientific inquiry I am used to here in "the West". The purpose of his work is spiritual, and concerns matters of the soul. His conclusions about the effects of varying stimuli on water are all of a transcendent and philosophic nature. That all matter is vibration, to Emoto, is a matter of the heart. Rather than exploring implications in the realm of quantum physics, He philosophizes about fundamental truths and the meaning of the cosmos.

My expectations to find a scientific, non-fiction piece of writing about some science experiements were not met because Emoto's work is implied to be of a spiritual realm, and in this vein he finds relavancy and significance in his work. I can sense an underlying worldview that, to me, is distinctly asian. I plan to finish the book, and look into the similarities between Emoto's philosophy's about water and its similarity to Taoism, Buddhism, and Hinduism-- they all resonate within the work.

1 comment:

  1. I am very curious to read his book. I know he was criticized by the scientific community because his science is not considered actual science. To be quite honest I don't think it matters all that much. It brings up interesting points and challenges science at it's roots (for me, anyway). I do believe there is a definite and obvious link between his work and what little I understand about Buddhism and the metaphysical. His studies are very spiritual in nature, but then again so is water, symbolically washing away sins and offering rebirth to the baptized.

    ReplyDelete