Sunday, March 18, 2012

Pros and Cons

Living in India for a year: Pros and Cons

cons:
-difficulty in configuration (where do our cats go, where does our stuff go, what about our car?)
-"starting over" when we return (getting jobs again.)
-putting off having babies
-intense homesickness, missing family, friends, feeling lonely
-fears (what if i get sick? what if I feel anxious? what if there is a terrorist attack?)
-guilt about moving "again", quitting job "again"
-possibly considered irresponsible in terms of building stability, savings, ect
-may upset loved ones

pros:
-thrilling adventure that satisfies my wanderlust and desire for something bigger and deeper than trying to establish and maintain a status-quo
-opportunity to purposely explore faith and spirituality in community
-chance to overcome fears
-experience that may lead me to a more preferred living when I return (better platform for further study/grad school, or job relating to my interests)
-living life to the terrifyingly fullest
-Saris
-finding the riches in poverty, increased contentedness with my relative material wealth
-form deep bonds with people in the same fox hole, grow closer to husband
-experience teaching english
-it's a trip with a designated time frame (I have the comfort of knowing an end will come in difficult times)
-travel and retreat programmed into each month
-more to give and more to share with others from the experience
-the craziness and spontenaity of it make me laugh
-learn a new language
-fulfill lifelong dream of missionary experience abroad for significant period of time
-stretch my strength and soul further than a chinese gymnast.

http://www.yavindia.net/

http://gamc.pcusa.org/ministries/yav/yavexperience/

1 comment: